This area does not yet contain any content.
Tuesday
Apr262016

Councillor says he was ‘carded’ by Hamilton police

Tuesday
Feb092016

Extreme cold weather to hit Hamilton this weekend - Video

As reported by Frankie.

Friday
Feb052016

Hamilton homeowner who confronted suspected truck thief charged with murder

Monday
Jan182016

Laid off CHCH hosts reinvent show online

Their faces may no longer be on your television sets, but some familiar former CHCH personalities are still entering your homes through the web.

A few ex-workers — including "Square Off" co-hosts Mark Hebscher and Liz West — decided they weren't ready to put an end to their show after a December bankruptcy announcement left them jobless, along with more than 125 full-time and almost 40 part-time staffers.

[A CHCH primer: Who, what, why]

Hebscher and West recently started podcasting after "Square Off" was taken off the air, along with other programs in a massive restructuring of local news at the station.

"It wasn't cancelled because people don't want to see that kind of show … or hear that kind of debate," West said. "That's why we didn't think twice about reinventing it (in a podcast)."

The goal is to have a new audio show available from Monday to Friday that people can listen to through links available on theirTwitterfeeds and Facebook pages.

Hebscher and West come up with topics they want to discuss, feature guests and include listener response, as was the case on the television show.

The difference? The podcast is less structured because it's not constrained by commercial breaks, Hebscher said.

Recorded at a studio in Etobicoke with the help of an engineer, the shows have so far been around an hour in length and have touched on topics from both hosts' encounters with David Bowie to lottery winners.

"It's like you're sitting around having a coffee and you're just chewing the fat," he said.

As for what the future will bring, it will depend


Hamilton Spectator

 

 

Tuesday
Jan122016

13 more Uber drivers charged in Hamilton

Friday
Sep112015

Uber says it will support Hamilton drivers charged by city

Tuesday
Aug252015

Can Barton Street become the next hip area of Hamilton?

James Kayser admits that when it comes to opening a restaurant, Barton and John isn't everyone's ideal place.

That's where the chef opened The Butcher and Vegan. With a mandate to serve local food and a decor that includes vintage WWF action figures, it would perhaps be more at home on James Street, or another area that caters to more hipster sensibilities.

But Kayser doesn't think so. To hear him tell it, he's on the ground floor of Hamilton's next hip area – Barton Street. He's talking to chefs and artists, trying to get them to start galleries and businesses there. And Kayser's not the only one — this year, in earnest, the idea of a revitalized Barton Street seems to be finally taking root. 

Kayser knows there are obstacles. The biggest one is perception. Some of his customers have told him that they've avoided Barton Street for years. Even prospective employees, when applying to his ads, told him that he was crazy to set up there. He thanked them for their interest.

"People are always saying, 'You can't do this in Hamilton. Things will never change,'" he said. "But if you look around, it's constantly changing."

"I mostly heard that I was crazy. People would say, 'What are you doing down there? It's a terrible area,'" he said. But the building, like the area, has "got good bones."

Barton and John is, admittedly, not always a place where you'd expect to find dishes such as Kayser's organic mushroom crostini and blackened tofu lettuce wraps.

A few blocks east, there are large spans of mostly empty storefronts, some of which have people illegally living in them. Other buildings languish and creak from landowner inattention. Methadone clinics dot the landscape.


By Samantha Craggs, CBC News

Tuesday
Jul072015

50K walleye put into Hamilton Harbour Monday

For those of you who think Hamilton harbour is an abominable mess where nothing can live – think again.

Buoyed by recent successes with fish stocks in the bay, the Ministry of Natural Resources is sending a truck full of 50,000 walleye to Hamilton Monday to introduce more of the popular sport fish to the waters.

"The reintroduction of a top native predator is a really big deal," said Chris McLaughlin of the Bay Area Restoration Council. "The fact that re-introduction was even considered in 2013 was a story, but the successful growth of those individuals is even better news."

Pre-industrialization, walleye were a common sight in the harbour, as they were historically near the top of the food chain in the bay.

But bit by bit, atrocious water quality and a loss of natural habitat meant they disappeared from the area like many fish did. By the 1950s, they were all but gone.

However, in recent years water quality in the area has improved, said Colin Lake from the ministry. So officials took a gambit, and decided to start introducing hatchery-grown fish into the bay.

There were 100,000 young fish introduced to the water in 2012, followed by 10,000 in 2013 and another 950,000 in 2014.

This past winter, ice fishers started catching adult fish, meaning they were surviving. "Provincial fisheries officials were elated this winter when people out on the ice in Hamilton harbour began emailing them with selfies of them and their catch," McLaughlin said.

"Field work is showing that those little fish stocked in 2013 are doing exceptionally well, but we won't know for another year or two whether reproduction is taking place."


By Adam Carter, CBC News

Thursday
Jun112015

89-year-old wins $192K settlement after tripping on cracked Hamilton sidewalk

A Hamilton court has ruled in favour of an 89-year-old woman who slipped and fell on a 23.8 millimetre bump in the sidewalk, a gap that earned her — and cost the city — $192,000 in damages. 

Citing a City of Hamilton worker as a hostile witness, missing inspections for a stretch of sidewalk on Upper Sherman and a city policy to repair raised edges in sidewalks over 19 millimetres, Justice Stephen Glithero said the municipality "failed" in its responsibilities, leading him to find the city "legally accountable."

According to a decision filed with the courts on June 8, Blanch Worthey broke her left wrist as well as her hip, requiring a total hip replacement, in a fall outside her Mountain home on September 13, 2012.

Lawsuits against the city for slips resulting from cracks in sidewalks are nothing new. They cost the city more than a million dollars in damages in 2012, a year the city paid out 71 of 842 stumble claims. That doesn't include falls because of ice, which resulted in 19 claims. In total, the city paid out $2.5 million in liability claims in 2012 alone, leading a city solicitor to ask the province to change the law. 

According to the decision, the previously independent and able-bodied widow of 30 years spent at least 42 days in hospital because of the fall. Glithero said Worthey testified that she "admits to paying no particular attention to the sidewalk as she traversed it," but that the city would not have been liable if they took steps that "need only be reasonable in terms of both inspection practices and repair practices."

According to Glithero, this is exactly where the city failed. 


By Jeff Green, CBC News

Wednesday
May272015

LRT: Yes, construction will be a nightmare but it will bring jobs

Friday
Apr242015

Food Trucks for Haiti this Saturday

On Saturday April the 25th from 11am-5pm at the Ferguson Station in

Hamilton, Ontario, Canadian Friends of Hôpital Albert Schweitzer

-Haiti (www.cfhas.ca) will be hosting their second annual event "Food
Trucks for Haiti." Food Trucks for Haiti will consist of five food
trucks, Haitian music and a Haitian arts and crafts market place.
All proceeds will be donated to Hôpital Albert Schweitzer, a 'off the
grid' hospital that serves over 200'000 people in the Artibonite
Valley in Haiti.

For more information please visit www.cfhas.ca for details.




Food Trucks for Haiti

Saturday April 25th, 2014
11am-5pm
Ferguson Station Pavilion & King St. East and Ferguson Ave. -  Hamilton, Ontario

Event Details Include

Five Food Trucks - Proceeds from food trucks are being donated to CFHAS.

Nudulz - http://www.nudulz.com/
Jonny Blonde - http://www.jonnyblonde.com/
Locke St. Bagel Mobile - https://www.facebook.com/LockeSt.BagelMobile

Meat Ventures - http://meatventures.com/
Crazy Cravings - http://www.crazycravings.ca/

Haitian Market Place - Lots of Haitian crafts and artwork plus
everyone's favorite vanilla or sale!

www.cfhas.ca

 

Wednesday
Apr082015

“Give me the money! Now!” Chaos as customers swarm armed robber in Hamilton Walmart

Customers swarmed an armed robber at an east Mountain Walmart Tuesday night, in a chaotic scene that saw two cashiers jabbed with a mock gun.

Police say the suspect went into the box store at 2190 Rymal Road East, just west of Highway 20, a few minutes after 8 p.m.

Pulling a fake handgun out of his sock, he walked up to a cashier, police say.

"He pressed the imitation gun to her side, told her to open the cash register," said Staff Sergeant Gary Thompson.

According to witnesses, he screamed at her several times to hand over the cash. Police say the shaken employee could not open the register fast enough.

The suspect then moved to another employee and began yelling at him to open his register while shoving the gun into his back. The staffer panicked as well and fumbled to open the drawer.

Scared customers scrambled in all directions, police said, just as the employee got the register to open.

"Then they swarmed him," Thompson said.

Jon Lumsden, 29, was only in Walmart for about 10 minutes, picking up formula for his eight-month old baby when he got into the express check out line.

"Give me the money! Now!" he heard and looked over to the next aisle where a man was standing beside the cashier.

Lumsden says the suspect was trying to hide his face with a makeshift mask – looking a lot like a cut off white T-shirt with holes for his eyes.

Police say a customer came from behind and struggled to restrain the gunman. The suspect tried to say it was only a fake.

Lumsden says he then scrambled to help the handful of people trying to subdue the gunman. One of them got him in a sleeper hold, he said.

They ripped the gun from his grasp. Lumsden said he passed the weapon to a nearby employee and continued to hold the man down.

It was weightless he said.

"That's when I knew it was plastic."


Hamilton Spectator

 

 

Thursday
Mar262015

What will city say on proposal for massive waterslide on city street?

Mark Gowland has a vision for Hamilton – and it’s a massive waterslide that’s as long as three football fields cascading down a city street this summer.

 

Gowland – who also organizes the Midsummer’s Dream colour festival in Gage Park – is acting as the local point person to bring Slide the City to Hamilton.

 

The company tours across North America with the stuff of childhood dreams: a 300-metre slip and slide that’s unfurled in a city street and revellers can pay to rocket down, riding an inner tube.


Slide the City successfully set up events in cities across the U.S. last summer, and now they’re looking to make the jump into Canada.

 

“The city is shedding its old skin and embracing a new, fun Hamilton where people get out and do things,” Gowland told CBC Hamilton. “It’s a giant slip and slide – who doesn’t want that?”

 

“I think Hamilton’s ready for this kind of stuff.”

 

City officials wouldn't comment on the likelihood of a Slide the City event happening in Hamilton until a formal application is underway, spokesperson Kelly Anderson said in an email. The company has had trouble with approvals in at least one Canadian city.

The city's Special Events Advisory Team (SEAT) reviews about 400 applications a year, ranging from small community events to large, city-wide celebrations.

"Each application is assessed on a case by case basis and the appropriate follow up is conducted by each department represented on SEAT," Anderson said. "The process to approve an event like Slide the City is dependent on what information is provided to us on the SEAT application."

 

By Adam Carter, CBC News

Thursday
Mar192015

Assault charges laid in McDonald’s video stunt

Monday
Feb092015

Hamiltonians protest tobogganing ban with sled-in

There was one party noticeably absent from a sledding protest against the City of Hamilton's tobogganing ban — city bylaw officers.

Sledders and sliders draped the hills in the shadow of the escarpment at Chedoke, as well as on the mountain, which was the site of a toboggan crash more than a decade ago that eventuallyforced the city to pay out $900,000 in damages for an injured lawyer.

But while bylaw officers were nowhere in sight, that doesn't mean the city still isn't at risk for another potential lawsuit.

The City of Hamilton did not immediate return phone calls to confirm if bylaw officers were aware of the protest. They have previously said that no tickets have ever been handed out for tobogganing in city parks.

'What do you want our kids to do, just sit inside for the winter?'- Carlos Pinho

Hamilton personal injury lawyer Michael Winward, a partner at Mackesy Smye, said despite the signs that the city has up and local knowledge that activity is banned, by not enforcing the bylaw, the city may still be held liable if someone got hurt and then sued.

"Having a bylaw that may prohibit an activity on city property doesn't absolve the city of liability if someone gets hurt," said Winward. "I have a hard time seeing that as a valid defence."

Carlos Pinho was at Chedoke Saturday to take his four-year-old Janina out for her first time tobogganing. He asked why Hamilton couldn't follow other cities who have dedicated hills for the sport.

"We want at least some hills. We don't want to take away tobogganing completely from the city," Pinho said. "If Calgary can do [18] locations, why can't we get two to four?"

Hamilton's risk management services previously told the CBC they were working on developing options for council, one of which would be dedicating hills for tobogganing.


By Jeff Green, CBC News

Thursday
Jan222015

Uber would require ‘political solution’ to operate ride-share in Hamilton

Wednesday
Jan212015

Councillors vote 9-7 to eliminate bus-only lane

Wednesday
Jan072015

City Staff Wish to Keep Downtown Bus Lane, Strongly Urge Until At Least End of 2015 PanAm Games

Thursday
Dec112014

Owners locked out of Hamilton hot spot Chuck's Burger Bar

Both sides in a lockout of a Hamilton burger hot spot say they are working on a resolution to the standoff.

The owners of the often-packed Chuck's Burger Bar on Locke Street found a bailiff's notice of "termination of tenancy" posted on the door Monday, which cites "breach of covenants as per prior notice" given Nov. 13.

Building owner Kevin Turbitt said he made the move "reluctantly" and he hopes a resolution to the issues can be found.

Chuck's co-owner Erin Millward said in an email Wednesday that she and her partner, Chris Preston, are "totally committed" to their customers, staff and neighbours.

"We are sorry that we have unfortunately reached an impasse in working with our landlord to address issues concerning costly renovations, and we would like to get back to discussing a mutually agreeable solution with him as quickly as possible," she wrote.

She did not address a question about an earlier tweet from Chuck's account that said the owners had been "completely blindsided" by the lockout.

Turbitt says he doesn't expect Millward and Preston to solve all the issues "overnight," but he needs to be satisfied they are willing to commit to action. He says the pair has been sent legal notices and plenty of emails outlining his concerns.

"It bothers me that this has to be so confrontational, but we couldn't find a resolution … I hate doing it," said Turbitt, who says he has never taken such action in 30 years of being a landlord. "I feel for the young people that work there. But you can't succeed if you ignore problems."

Millward said she doesn't want to "rehash our disagreement in the media. We want our 25 employees back working, especially given it is so close to the holiday season."

Turbitt also declined to elaborate on the outstanding issues, but in May, he told The Spectator he was hearing complaints from 11 other tenants in the building — residential and commercial — who were fed up with thick smoke and grease emanating from Chuck's ventilation system.

Kim Rosenberg, who lives directly above Chuck's, is angry because she says the owners are trying to portray themselves as victims when they have done nothing to alleviate the concerns of neighbours.

"It hasn't been any better. It's got worse," she said, citing ongoing problems with overflowing garbage bins, spewing grease and noise.

"Chuck's Burger Bar has had ample opportunity to make things right but have refused (to) even meet halfway," she wrote in a Facebook post.

"Chuck's Burger Bar is not concerned with the community or the neighbourhood. They refuse to take responsibility or accountability for their actions."


Hamilton Spectator

 

 

Monday
Dec012014

Hamilton family left corpse upstairs for six months expecting resurrection